Victoria’s Secret Angels: change of communication for the lingerie brand
Every year, the Victoria lingerie brand’s Secret organizes a fashion show during which its new collections are unveiled. On this occasion, his creations are worn by models with perfect physique. Called the Angels, these handpicked models have largely contributed to the notoriety of the brand. The latter has decided to separate from it, however.
The point of this marketing shift.
Presentation of the Victoria lingerie brand’s Secret
Victoria’s Secret is an American company that specializes in the production of lingerie. It was founded in 1977 in San Francisco by the entrepreneur Roy Raymond. If the history of the founder of Victoria’s Secret ended dramatically, it is not the case of the brand he created.
The brand has become one of the most popular women’s underwear brands in the world.
Victoria’s Secret is named after Queen Victoria of England and the period when corsets and garters were in vogue. Roy Raymond suggested in this way that the creations of his brand displayed the refinement characteristic of the Victorian era.
The collections of Victoria’s Secret are systematically embodied the glamour and the femininity. Every year, since 1995, they are unveiled during the Fashion Show. This event the most beautiful models of the fashion world which are called the Victoria’s Secret Angels. It always ends with the presentation of the Fantasy Bra, a bra decorated with precious stones made in collaboration with great jewelers. It was first worn by Claudia Schiffer in 1996.
Other famous models such as Gisele Bündchen, Heidi Klum, Tyra Banks, Alessandra Ambrosio or Adriana Lima have had the honor of wearing Fantasy Bra. It is necessary to know that the price of these jewels often reached several million dollars.
Who are the Victoria Angels’s Secret ?
The concept ofVictoria’s Secret Angels was originally used for an advertising campaign of the sexy lingerie brand in 1997. This one then called upon supermodels like Karen Mulder and Helena Christensen. Having met a real success, the brand named the models parading during the annual Fashion Show the Angels.
Faisant integral part of the Victoria’s Secret brand image, these models are so popular that they have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles.
To become an Angel, it is necessary to go through a very rigorous casting. Beauty criteria must be met, namely to measure at least 1.75 m and display :
- A waistline of 60 centimeters;
- A chest measurement of 86 centimeters;
- A hip size of 87 centimeters.
Flat belly, bouncy buttocks, slim figure … with their dream plastic, Victoria’s Secret Angels make men fantasize and women admire them. These models are considered the most beautiful women in the world. Adriana Lima, Alessandra Ambrosio, Gisele Bündchen, Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, Miranda Kerr, Doutzen Kroes and Candice Swanepoel are some of the iconic ambassadors of the lingerie brand.
Celebrities Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid have also joined the very closed circle of Angels.
New marketing strategy: goodbye Angels, hello influencers
As revealed in an article by BFM, the era of the Victoria’s Secret Angels is over. The lingerie brand has indeed opted for a change of marketing strategy. For several years, the American giant has suffered a decline in popularity.
This phenomenon seems to be linked to its lack of inclusiveness and diversitys catalogs.
As such, he has decided to now be represented by ambassadors The brand is a new concept in beauty, which does not necessarily fit in the beauty canons and thanks to which all women will be able to recognize themselves. These are also distinguished by their committed speech. The new Victoria’s Secret muses have in common their passion for positive change. Among them are :
- Priyanka Chopra Miss World : elected Miss World at 17 years old, this Indian shines today as an actress in Hollywood. Also a philanthropist, she created in her country of origin an association working for the education of young girls. Each year, she gives him 10% of her income;
- Amanda de Cadenet This feminist photographer of British origin is also a journalist and entrepreneur. She also has a career as a model and actress;
- Megan Rapinoe Adut Akech : this American soccer player is known to have won many titles. She is also an LGBTQIA+ activist;
- Paloma Elsesser Spotted on Instagram, this Swiss-American plus-size model has been hired to model for major brands like Nike and Fenty Beauty. In 2020, she was chosen to be on the cover of US Vogue magazine ;
- Valentina Sampaio A new era begins for Victoria’s Secret: this Brazilian model became in 2019 the first transgender muse of Victoria’s Secret;
- Adut Akech Victoria’s Secret : this top model of Sudanese-Australian origin has already walked the runway for haute couture houses such as Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent or Balmain. Having grown up in a war refugee camp in Kenya, she is also a mental health advocate.
A new era begins for Victoria’s Secret. Will the brand manage to restore its reputation ?